ALEXANDER C. SCHREYER
Author, “Architectural Design with SketchUp“, John Wiley & Sons
M.A.Sc. (Wood Science – University of British-Columbia, Canada)
Dipl.-Ing. (B.S. Civil Engineering – University of Applied Sciences Wiesbaden, Germany)
Combining backgrounds in structural engineering, wood science and digital design, Mr. Schreyer’s interests span the entire range of planning and design of buildings and structures. He specializes in the design and construction of mainly heavy-timber type (e.g. glulam) structural systems. This is complemented by a strong interest in computer applications and web-based solutions in structural engineering, construction and architecture.
Mr. Schreyer is Program Director and Senior Lecturer in the Building and Construction Technology (BCT) program at the University of Massachusetts (UMass) in Amherst, MA. He teaches classes in BIM (Building Information Modeling) and CAD (Computer-Aided Design), building materials and construction methods, wood properties as well as a capstone graduate structural design class in the M.Arch. architecture program.
In his research, Mr. Schreyer focuses on the behavior of wood-based structural systems with a particular interest in innovative connection systems for wooden structures. Other foci are development of software-based approaches in digital design and structural optimization as well as interactive web-based tools.
Recently, Mr. Schreyer published the book “Architectural Design with SketchUp” with John Wiley & Sons, which provides a beginner- to intermediate-level overview of various techniques to “do more” with the popular 3D modeling application Trimble SketchUp.
- Teaching and Knowledge Transfer
- AEC/CAD and BIM Modeling and Architectural Visualization
- Computational Digital Design
- Digital Fabrication, 3D Printing
- Digital and Web-Based Tools in Architecture, Construction and Planning
- Building Materials & Construction Methods
- North American and European Structural Design Standards and Building Practices
- Design of Wood Structures
- Wood-Concrete Composite Structural Systems
- Connections in Heavy-Timber Structural Systems
- Optimization Approaches in Design
- Web Development and Social-Media Outreach
- Software- and Script-Development
- Graphic Design
Office Phone: +1 (413) 545-1976
University of Massachusetts
Department of Environmental Conservation
Holdsworth Hall, 160 Holdsworth Way
Amherst, MA 01003-9285, USA
VoiceMail: +1 – SCHREYER – 01
Fax 1: +1 (646) 390 – 0521 (North America)
Fax 2: +49 – 1212 – 510 987 288 (Germany)